Deborah Brett has been a real estate consultant, planner, and market analyst for over 35 years. She directs engagements for developers, lenders, investors, corporations, and government agencies at all levels.
Her expertise is focused in the following practice areas:
- Formulating development strategies for vacant and underutilized properties in urban and suburban settings
- Conducting market analyses for a wide range of residential projects – single family homes, condominiums, senior housing, and both market-rate and affordable apartments
- Identifying retail revitalization opportunities for downtowns, neighborhood business districts, and shopping centers
- Consulting on economic development efforts, often involving mixed-use or transit-oriented development projects, that include office, industrial, hospitality, and commercial recreation space
- Analyzing demographic trends, labor market and employment conditions, and consumer preferences
- Directing land use and development policy research projects for federal and state agencies and local governments
- Working with real estate investment firms on portfolio analysis and strategic planning issues
Experience in survey design and management of field research/interview teams are among the skills Ms. Brett offers to her clients. She often uses consumer research to identify needed improvements to retail districts or shopping centers, in examining the marketability of innovative housing development plans, and in evaluating government programs and policy options.
For 18 years, Ms. Brett was employed at Real Estate Research Corporation in Chicago, rising to the position of National Director of Consulting Services. As a member of the Wilmette, IL Economic Development Commission from 1988 to 1992, Ms. Brett helped formulate business district revitalization programs for this Chicago suburb. Among the programs established in Wilmette during this period were facade improvement rebates, new signage and banners, store directories, and shoppers’ surveys. She holds a masters degree in Urban and Regional Planning from the University of Illinois, and is member of the American Institute of Certified Planners and the American Planning Association. She is also a full member of The Urban Land Institute and Lambda Alpha, the national real estate and land economics honorary society.